Saturday, September 26, 2009

So.... the world doesn't revolve around you!

I get this a lot with bigger groups. They have it stuck in their mind that a) I am solely there to serve them and them alone.. not the 5 other tables that I have and/or the other 10 people at their table b) we should all get our food at EXACTLY the same time .... sure if I have a procession of waiters which don't c) the is NO reason that tip should be added... yes... yes there is.
One this last point, I will elaborate. Bigger parties are more effort, require more time and energy plus coordination (well, yes me physically but also drinks, courses.. etc.). And do you know that more often then not, a bigger table leaves a smaller tip than a smaller table. Adding a tip onto a larger party should ensure that your server gives you the best service (talking about myself here,I understand that not everyone will give you good service). As server, I know that my effort and hard work will not be taken or granted. So, please.. don't argue about tip being added. The math has already been done for you!

Any who.... As I said earlier, bigger groups (not all but some) think that they are just as easy to handle as smaller ones are. Here are some of the jewels that I have had to deal with in the past.

"I don't take cream in my coffee."
"OK, I'll just leave it on the table in case anyone else needs it."
Here I get the evil eye.
"I.. don't .... take...cream... in... my...coffee."
I look at her, move the cream to the other side and walk away.


"I can't believe you are charging me extra for extra stuff!"
"It's listed on the menu as being an extra, so I have to charge you for it."
"Well, I am NOT paying for it." Then slams the item on my counter. No joke.


"Can I get you something to drink?"
"
Yes, I would like diet Snapple."
"We do not offer Snapple, would you like (list of other drinks)"
Sets the menu down.
"I only drink diet Snapple."
Then looks at me as if I am to suddenly remember that I do in fact carry diet Snapple and/or will somehow produce said beverage. This scenario has happened numerous times with different beverages.


Party of 3 walks in.
"Here is your table."
"I would like to sit over there."
Points to a smaller table that will only seat two.
"We usually only use that one for parties of two. With three there, it would be a little crowded."
The outcome is one of two.
1) Pouts. (seriously?) "OK, I guess this will do."
2) They are convinced that they will not enjoy themselves unless that sea over there.Pan to me seating them at a smaller table...usually wit them being crowded around it looking like they had to sit at the kids table.

Why does it matter where you sit in a restaurant? Most have areas that are made up to help even out the number of people to waitress ratio. In our case, we go by what will be more useful. Such as, not seating a huge party next to a small one, not having everyone sit in the same side of the room, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment