Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Happy New Year!... except for you...

Hello all!

Happy New Year! I have been putting off any entries until I had a really good one. And boy, did I finally stumble upon one. So sit back, relax and enjoy :).

So, It's New Year's Eve and the shop is going to be closing a little bit early. I should note here that we were closing at 3 p.m. and had stopped seating people an hour ago.
Business was slowing down and we had one table finishing up desserts. An older lady comes in at 2:50 and mills around. I greet her and continue cleaning. At 2:52, the older lady greets her friend that just joined her. (Please note the times here or nothing that follows will seem wondrous.) Both stand at the front and look around the shop.

Me: " Can I help you ladies with anything?"

Lady 1: "Yes, we would like to sit and have something to drink."

Me: "I'm sorry. We're actually cleaning up right now and closing a little early."

Lady 2: "We can't get anything to drink?"

Me: " We're closing early for New Years. I can't seat you but I can make you something to go."

Lady 1: " So, we can't sit and get something to drink."

(You'd be surprised how often I get this question. Asking me again doesn't change my answer.)

Me: (starting to get a little annoyed at this point) "No, I'm sorry. We are closing early and the only thing I can offer you is something to go."

Lady 2: *Looks around the shop* "Are you going to make these people leave at 3?" * Points to the only table there which happens to be 5 feet away. Like within hearing distance 5 feet away.*

Me: "They are on their desserts. But, no they will not have to leave right at 3. They were here before our last seating."

Lady 2: " Fine. Where's the nearest Starbucks?"


Really? I offered you multiple times to make you something to go and because I won't seat you with like 8 minutes to spare, you ask me for a similar business? Sigh, happy New Year to me. Starting off with a bang.

No comments:

Post a Comment