Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Great Fork Incident of 2008

I love my job. Sometimes I have to remind myself of this fact but I do genuinely Love my job.

That being said, we are going to call this the "Great Fork Incident of 2008".

I have some special customers. They want to be waited on, talked to, hugged, have you remember their personal preferences like the fact that like their salad dressing to be ranch or that they prefer their sandwich to not touch the other food neighbors. Sure. I like remembering peoples preferences. It's like remembering key points of a conversation. It's important that customers know that you are paying attention. The more you come in, the easier it is for me to remember what you prefer.

Anyway. Meal is ordered, drink is fine. I go and check on my other couple of tables.

"Miss? Can I get another fork? This one doesn't pick up the salad." Shows me how the fork is incapable of doing the job. Stab. Stab. No lettuce on fork.

"Sure, I'll go get you another one."

Go to the silverware drawer and pick out a different fork.

"Give this one a whirl." Drop off the fork and make another round to my other tables.

"Miss? This one isn't working either." Stab. Stab.

Take the fork, nod that I understand and go grab three other forks. All are simliar but with a different tine. I show the different forks to the customers. After what seems like 3 minutes, all the time I'm scanning the room making sure I don't have other pressing needs like a spoon that doesn't pick up soup... they make their decision.

"You know, I think I'll use the one I have."

- Kids, I couldn't have made this up if I tried.

No comments:

Post a Comment